Baby, it's cold outside!

By HawgWyld on 9:25 PM

Filed Under:

I absolutely hate cold weather.

Sadly, we've got a ton of it here in the Natural State tonight. Yes, old man winter decided to pay Arkansas a visit today and we've got a mess brewing.

I, The Hawg, have marked the spot on the latest map from the National Weather Service that shows I'm smack dab in the middle of all this rotten weather. We Saline County folks don't cope with this stuff well.

In fact, most Arkansans don't react well to ice covered roads. If a snow flake hits the ground and sticks, that's a sure sign it's time to shut the town down for a couple of days and wait for it to melt. We don't know how to drive on this stuff in Arkansas and I, for one, don't care to learn.

I'm hoping it works out that way tomorrow. We're supposed to get more sleet and freezing rain -- perhaps enough so that schools will be canceled and we'll get to stay home from work. The break won't last long, however -- it's supposed to be in the 40s by Wednesday and then in the 60s by Thursday, according to the National Weather Service.

Ah, that's how it is in Arkansas. Don't like the weather? Give it a minute and it will change.

Meanwhile, it's time to break out my favorite lawyer joke:

Friendly The Hawg: It's cold out there.

You: How cold is it, The Hawg?

Friendly The Hawg: So cold that I went downtown and the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets!

I've been lazy lately

Yes, I haven't been too active here or at The Natural State Hawg these past few days. To quote an e-mail I got a couple of years ago that still gives me a chuckle, "Oh well. It Christmas."

And because it Christmas, I've been busy with family and such. While I'm well aware that some people have been disappointed that my inane prattle hasn't been thrown around as often as it was just a few weeks ago, I'll be back to my old self before long.

6 comments for this post

Hey, I'm in the pretty purple area of that map too! I bet there's 3" of solid ice out on my steps right now. I drove in it last night to cover a city council meeting. A half hour drive took three times as long to get there and it was slower coming back. Now, I know how to drive in snow, and do just fine in it. But, no one, no matter where you're from, can do well driving on ice! Stay home, Hawg, and be safe!

Posted on December 16, 2008 at 4:05 AM  

So far so good here in NW AR, however I had my dose of that icy crap back in 2000 when I lived smack dab in the middle of Polk County we were without power for 13 days starting Christmas day! It was quite possibly the worst ice storm EVER!! Hope this nasty weather packs it bags and takes off soon!! You guys keep warm!

Posted on December 16, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

Theresa -- I'm home with the kids today (my insane wife went to work) as both the schools and my office are closed. My car is covered with ice and it looks like it will stay that way for awhile.

Krissi -- Oh, I remember that 2000 storm very well. My wife and I had a newborn baby and no power. We all slept in the living room with the fireplace going. That was a terrible storm.

Posted on December 16, 2008 at 9:55 AM  

Hawg, we got it bad here in central Arkansas. School has already been canceled for tomorrow. My worked from home today, and I just played.

Posted on December 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

Paul -- Glad you got to play, at least. I mostly looked after kid and had a teleconference with the IRS (I'm writing a story -- I'm not in trouble).

The Natural State Hawg

Posted on December 16, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

I'll have to brag for the weather down here in florida. Just went for a walk in my shorts and t-shirt :)

It's 80 at 7:00 at night.

Good luck with the cold weather, I didn't like it when i was up north.

Kevin at Contest Prep

Posted on December 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment