Let's hear it for the underdogs!

By HawgWyld on 11:06 PM

Filed Under:

At long last, the Arizona Cardinals have made it to the Super Bowl.

That's a huge deal. How big a deal? Well the Cardinals have been in Chicago, St. Louis and now Arizona and have pretty well been rotten far more often than not. The team hasn't been to the Super Bowl, in fact, since the merger between the AFC and NFC created the NFL back in 1970.

Of all the teams that were part of that merger, the Cardinals are the last to make it to the Super Bowl. That's impressive stuff, particularly when you consider the Cardinals were underdogs throughout the playoffs.

Yes everyone knew the Cardinals would fold against Atlanta, then it went without saying that they'd be stopped by Carolina. Of course, the Cardinals never had a chance against the Eagles on Sunday night, right?

The Cardinals made it through the playoffs, of course, and are underdogs in the Super Bowl against a very good Pittsburgh Steelers team. Nothing against Pittsburgh, but I hope the Cardinals beat the odds once again and pull off an upset in the Super Bowl.

Why? I like underdogs and always have. I well remember watching a scrubby, laughable team called the Denver Broncos pull off unlikely victory after unlikely victory in 1977 and go to the 1978 Super Bowl (they lost to the Cowboys). I've been a Broncos fan ever since and this Cardinals team reminds me of that Broncos squad.

Arizona has gotten absolutely no respect all year long and has wound up in a position that many thought impossible going into the season. Hell, the Cardinals have been a laughing stock for as long as I can remember and I've been watching football since 1976 when I was seven-years-old.

It's always good to see an underdog wind up in the Super Bowl. Why? It gives fans of teams like the Browns, Lions, Texans and other teams with no winning tradition hope. Hell, if the Cardinals can make it to the Super Bowl, that means that just about any fan can sit back, grin and say, "Yeah, it'll be our year one day."

So, go Cardinals. I wish Denver would have made it to the Super Bowl, but seeing an underdog make it in is the next best thing.

6 comments for this post

While I always have liked the Steelers, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals win. I heard today that the last championship they had was 1947, predating the Super Bowl by quite a few years. This is only exceeded by the Cubs for futility.

Posted on January 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM  

The Cardinals are already 6.5 point underdogs for the Super Bowl.

Posted on January 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

This Razorback, now living in Arizona, is loving it! Go Cardinals!

Posted on January 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM  
Anonymous

We are definitely pulling for the Cardinals. I think it's great they surprised everyone and made it this far. I really hope they can go all the way and beat those Steelers (I'm a Browns fan). To me, it's kind of like if the Browns had gone this far, 1947 was a long time ago. I don't think the Browns ever won a superbowl though . . . maybe next year.

Posted on January 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM  
Anonymous

Being from Pittsburgh and being a die hard Steeler fan..I'm rooting for the Black and Gold.

Posted on January 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Da Old Man -- I feel the same way about the Super Bowl. I'm a Broncos fan, so I rather feel like I don't have a dog in this fight. And, yes, the Cardinals are due a Super Bowl victory, I think.

Paul -- That's not surprising as people have been betting against Arizona all year long. We'll just have to see...

Me-Me -- A Razorback, huh? I know you share my habit of pulling for the underdog, then. Remember that 1994 NCAA championship game? Everyone bet on Duke but the Hogs showed 'em.

Karen -- See? If Arizona can do it, why not the Browns?

Spicybugz -- I'd expect nothing less. Good luck to your Steelers. I'm hoping for a good game.

Posted on January 25, 2009 at 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment