It's Amazing What Can Happen in An Hour

By Paul Eilers on 9:47 AM

Filed Under:

The following is by our son, Dylan. He is fifteen years-old and plays football at Conway High School.

Today is Thursday, so that means I had to wake up early to go lift weights with all my linemen homies. I got there about fifteen minutes early and relaxed until we started.

My offensive line coach, Coach Bing, did roll call to make sure everyone showed up. After that, we went upstairs to start lifting.

We worked out for about forty-five minutes. Then our head coach, Kenny Smith, said, “Alright men. Be here at 3:30 for pre-practice and we will hit the field at 4:00.” Then he asked, “Anything else, coaches?” Then he looked at us and said, “Alright, stack it up on the Cats.” So we headed downstairs, stood on the word “Cats”, and put our hands in the center of the circle. Then we yelled, ”One, two, Conway! One, two, Wampus Cats!” Then we were dismissed.

I usually ride home with my friend, Ethan McMoran. But he wanted to stay and help Coach Sessions move books to his classroom. I didn’t want to wait, so I decided to find another ride. I asked one of my fellow linemen, Matt Livingston, if he could give me a ride. He said, “Sure that would be fine.”

I got in the car and I saw his dad walk over to the passenger door. Matt walked over to the driver's side. That made me a little nervous, so I asked his dad, “So Matt is driving, eh?” He said, “Yeah, he’s got to learn.” I thought to myself, “Let’s see how this turns out.”

As I sat in the back seat, I made sure to buckle up. We drove out of the parking lot and headed towards the roundabout on Prince Street. Just by the tone in his father’s voice, I could tell he was nervous.

We started in the left lane of the roundabout. So far, so good. He then turned on his blinker to get in the right lane to go down Western Avenue. We saw another car, which is supposed to yield, entering the roundabout. Mr. Livingston started screaming at his son, “You can’t do that! That’s against the law!” Matt became flustered. “What?” “I didn’t know.” Now I’m really nervous. I don’t know whether to laugh or be scared.

Matt’s father continued to yell, ”Slow down! Stop!” Matt got in the right lane anyway. By now the car behind us has honked numerous times. A frustrated Mr. Livingston unbuckled his seatbelt to get in the driver’s seat. However, he didn’t get the chance, since Matt kept driving. His dad then stuck his arm out the window and flipped off the other driver.

We finally got through the roundabout, unharmed. As we pulled up to my house, Mr. Livingston said, ”It’s exciting, isn’t it?” To which I wearily replied, ”Yes sir. It sure is.”

2 comments for this post

Heh. Thanks for that. My son is 11-years-old and this is the kind of thing I get to look forward to?

Goodness!

Posted on August 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM  
Anonymous

OMG, I am so glad he made it home safe and sound! Whew!

Posted on August 15, 2008 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment